Sunday, March 13, 2005

Calderazzo

I've been to Calderazzo (on Soi Langsuan) three times now, and each time I come away with the vague feeling I've been ripped off. So why do we keep going back? Convenience, I suppose, and nice decor probably. Mainly I guess because a pal likes to eat there. But there are much better Italian restaurants e.g. the pizza parlours at the beginning of Sukhumvit Soi 31.

What's wrong with Calderazzo? Well, I ordered a salami and rocket pizza there and it looked more like spinach and bacon bits (the dried convenience kind you put on salads) and tasted of garlic - and only garlic. Hell, I didn't complain. It was one of my first meals since arriving here and I wasn't paying. The second time, I ordered one of their pasta dishes with beef. That was quite nice but did have more than a hint of Chinese noodles with double-cooked beef about it. So I guess the first thing to say about Calderazzo is that the Italian food is not quite what you would expect.

Another thing is that for the pennies, I really don't think it's worth it. Hubby ordered a four seasons pizza which contained what looked like sliced tinned mushrooms and defrosted prawns - you know the small shrimpy kind that is used in prawn cocktails. I ordered spinach ravioli - 4 fairly large pieces came out full of green stuff. Perfectly edible, but rather pricey. And to be frank, I'd have more satisfaction and a fuller belly from a bowl full of vegetarian jiaozi (Chinese dumplings) at at least half the price.

OK I've learnt my lesson and I'll shut up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home