Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Baan Kanitha



I knooooooow, one of the most farang friendly Thai restaurants in Bangkok, superb food, nice service, wonderful setting: what else is there to say?

I'd like to say that it really is very tasty indeed. And the primary reason is that I am a bit of wimp when it comes to spicy food, despite my dad coming from Sichuan. I can see the reasoning for contrasting spicy dishes with say sweet dishes or sour ones. I don't see the point of numbing my tongue (and therefore taste buds) with chilis.

The dishes that we have particularly enjoyed at Baan Kanitha are: the tubtim fish with black beans, the cotton fish grilled with Thai herbs and the aubergine spicy salad. Both of the fish dishes are pretty fishy smelling, but in a good way which contrasts well with the spices and herbs they are cooked with.

Even their duck red curry is nice - although not as nice as the one I made in a cookery class in Chiang Mai!

UPDATE 15 July 2005: we had a big dinner at the other Baan Kanitha on Ruam Rudee. The menu is the same, but this additional trip allows me to also say that I sampled and can recommend:

- chicken in pandanus leaves - but watch out, they're big!
- soft shell crab in yellow curry - tasty but portion is a bit small
- pomelo salad

OK, stupid additional useless note now: whilst eating, one couldn't help noticing this foreign bird who had the biggest pair of personalities ever! They were like balloons aching to break free from the constrictions of a very tight pink t-shirt! Now I'm not one to look at another woman's assets, but these were unmissable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home